Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Tuesday, September 22, 2009

10 down, 10 zillion to go

I'm taking a brain break from reading journals. I managed to get the journals back to my T/Th classes today (not the review sheets from their style guide--and of course I got another batch of journals today), but now I'm grinding through the journals for 229, and haven't yet embarked on the two sets I have from the M/W 101. I've got each batch of assignments clipped together and in a stack in priority order, and periodically I take a break from marking to do something brainless, like put a batch into alphabetical order (or, um, blog): I can only read/respond for so long before A) I start to get fiercely crabby and have to work very hard not to make snotty comments or B) my brains seize up and I can't take in what I'm reading, never mind formulate a response. I really do have to get at least most of 229 done tonight or I won't be able to get even one batch of the M/W journals back tomorrow--and they've already been waiting longer than I wanted. (insert your favorite sound effect denoting exhaustion, frustration, and/or determination to continue the slog)

Today the R section of 101 (the one that meets at the end of my day) was a blast. They sort of wigged out about the marks on their reading journals (which weren't as high as they wanted, of course: they don't know yet what I consider good work), but once I got them to put that aside and work on pulling stuff out of the journals they did for today, they did a terrific job. I had one of those lovely moments when I stood there and simply watched them in their groups, all engaged in the material, looking in their books to find quotations, pointing things out in their reading journals, talking over ideas: the sight and sound of students learning. I hated to interrupt them for the whole class part of the discussion (and I told them that I hated to interrupt the great work they were doing, how pleased I was). They just flew after that, disagreeing (or agreeing) with each other, adding ideas, practically leaping out of their seats with the vigor with which they raised their hands--even trying to remember to call each other by name. I got contributions from students who have never spoken up in class before. Man, if every class were like that, I'd be in hog heaven. If their writing matched their work in class, I'd be in some even more wonderful heaven: horse heaven? I'd be ecstatic. It won't be that wonderful, not even close, and they will be crushed at first to realize that what they thought was good writing just plain isn't. But I don't want to go into a downer about that now. Class was GREAT.

Now if only I could ask the cats to mark the rest of these journals for me. (My buddy Jane suggested I rubber-band pens to their paws--and noted what a soothing experience that would be for the cats.) I'm going to have to consider whether I'm better off trying to shove through a few more journals before I go home or if I'll do better to go home, eat something, and then get back to it. Really tough call: once I'm home, it's extraordinarily difficult to get myself working again. But the fact that I'm blogging instead of marking does seem to indicate that I have hit some sort of wall here. I'll sit very quietly for five minutes and then decide. Om. Om. Om.

No comments:

Post a Comment