Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Classes, day 3 (or day 1, depending on POV)

I've felt woozy all day today (maybe a little dehydration--all that talking and chalk dust--but also grieving for Dad seems to have this effect sometimes), so it was a little weird in class. Looks like there are couple of intelligent faces in Native American Lit (in addition to the students I had in semesters past), possibly enough to make it work. Possible evidence of their overall intelligence is that this is the first time I have ever explained the reading journal process without facing profound confusion. I'm not sure I really explained it all that well; maybe the ones who are confused are just willing to be confused. Who knows.

I have made some changes in my tactics for all my classes this semester--again, looking for that magic key that will open their eyes and minds to the joys of intellectual exploration. Plus, experimenting from time to time keeps me from getting stale. In the 101 (beginning composition) classes, I have built in 10 extra credit assignments--but they really are extra credit: I won't accept them unless the student has also done the regularly assigned work. Students usually want "extra" credit that is actually make-up credit, something they can do to fill in for the assignments they blew off or to rescue them when they are going down the drain. As I've structured these, only the really ambitious and hard-working students will get the grade boost of the assignments. (Plus, as I admitted to my class today, it's a way for me to say, "I really wish I could require you to read/do this in addition to everything else, but I know it's too much for most of you...")

In 229 (Native American Lit), the change in tactics is that instead of having students produce reading journals for both primary and critical material, I'm having them do journals only for primary material. They have to answer study questions on the critical material. I still want them to read the critical stuff (or try to), but it's incredibly hard to get them to understand the difference between the two, so I'm hoping this will help. They need to understand that critical material is used to support their analysis; it isn't something they analyze the way we analyze the literature. God, I'm even confusing myself writing this; no wonder the students struggle. The only down side is that I have to come up with the damned study questions, which means I have to a) re-read the assignments, b) come up with questions that will show students why the assignment is worth reading, c) type it all up in a way that makes some kind of sense and doesn't seem overwhelming. I'm pretty bad at that last part. (Prolix? Me? Overly verbose? Moi??)

Already trying to figure out what to do with tomorrow's 101 classes that is productive but doesn't get them too far ahead of the Monday/Wednesday section. (I get confused if the sections get out of sync. And I'm confusing enough when I'm not confused. (See what I mean?)) Probably I will let them go early yet again. I'd just cancel the day (and take the car in for an oil change and muffler check instead), but I have a CWCC meeting: that's College-Wide Curriculum Committee; I'm an elected member--points toward promotion--so I don't like to miss, and in fairness it's too late to ask the alternate to cover for me. Gack. I can't believe committee shit is starting up already. Personnel and Budget (P&B) yesterday (that one meets every week), CWCC tomorrow, another committee next Tuesday, and on we go. I am clearly certifiable--and need to get the hell off some committees. If only I weren't interested in them all--and aiming for full professor before I'm 60. Heavy sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment