Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Whew!

Well, I got enough marked that I could profitably talk to students about journals and what to do better on the next go-round. Students in 229 were confused about what was due today, so only a few had done the reading and homework they needed to be ready for class. (I made one tiny change to the syllabus but apparently that was enough to throw all but 6 of them.) But it ended up being a good thing, actually, as we got a chance to go over the very difficult material from Deloria's God Is Red, in a way that helped them, I think. In 101 I mostly talked about the upcoming paper assignment--took almost the whole period. Back in the office I took care of some loose ends that have been flapping around (like finding out when I'm going to be observed and figuring out what I need to get Bruce so he's ready for the observation). I debated staying to try to push through some more marking--and just couldn't face it. Brought some stuff home (not reading journals: I'm journaled out for the nonce) but I don't think I'm going to look at it. That wall I hit yesterday I keep hitting (or different walls--sometimes it's like being a rather dim rat in a very complex maze), so I have at last decided fuck it, I'm going to just read mental popcorn while I eat my dinner (and maybe eat some actual popcorn: I am a popcorn addict, literally and metaphorically). To bed early, up early, and tomorrow is, as Scarlett O'Hara said, another day.

Thinking about the popcorn reading, one of our newly hired colleagues dropped in just to chat today. He's a friend of William's (who wasn't there) but he also says he just likes our office (and honestly, it is friendly in atmosphere). He was talking about how William manages to find time to read for pleasure when usually we are so busy with teaching and scholarship that we can't. I had to confess that in my case, it's the scholarship that gets the fuzzy end of the lollipop. Teaching and committee stuff take precedence, so I need a ferocious motivation to drum up the mental time and space for my own intellectual work--and I generally don't have anything to provide that motivation. But reading for fun, that I can always squeeze in. Of course, fun for me is not Wonderbread America fun: I checked out Barnaby Rudge from the library, and as soon as I finish the mystery I'm reading, I'll dive in. It's getting to be Dickens weather (something about autumn calls for Dickens: crisp apples, hot tea, and a prolix Victorian novel). Plus, I've not read Barnaby (or have forgotten it if I did), so... But scholarship? Um, can we change the subject please?

Thank god, this is an extra-long weekend, because of the Jewish holidays. No class Monday (though that does mean that Tuesday follows a Monday schedule, which always completely throws the students off--and is not all that easy for me, either). I'm seriously considering also cancelling my ride on Friday, so I can collapse for a bit and still have enough time to get at least a little caught up on work. But it doesn't make sense to cancel if I fritter away the time (which I am all too likely to do) and the weather will be gorgeous for riding: 70s and sunny, just perfect. I need to decide tomorrow--but not tonight. Right now, it's just time for my dinner and that mystery. And remembering to breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment