Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Friday, January 1, 2010

The bitching begins

This will be a short post, because I don't want to deal with it (and feel a bit sick to my stomach about the whole thing), but I have three student e-mails saying "I don't think the grade I got is fair; it's a shock; how could I get the grade I did; can't I do something to get a better grade?" I'm just going to send each one a grade detail, so each sees why the grade was given and take it from there. But I HATE this shit.

3 comments:

  1. I have a simple solution: ignore them. In the last few days of class, I tell them exactly where I'll be and when if they want to figure out their grades on their own and discuss them with me. I remind them how to figure it out, showing them how to do math. I tell them that final grades are final. Then I do not answer my mail from my students. The exception is if an A student contacts me and asks why he or she failed, obviously I made an error, and we work to resolve it. Otherwise, I'm not on duty until January. Neither should you be. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten three or four of these emails. I don't mind the ones who ask, simply, for an explanation of their grade, especially since, this semester, because I'd been out sick, I could not get their final papers back to them before the end of the semester. It's the ones who write things like this:

    "To be blunt why did i fail i handed in both of the papers and i though they were good and well written."

    Or this, after I told a student he needed to email his paper by the end of the day on Decembe 28 (for reasons that had more to do with my absence and a mistake on my part than with anything he did) and then gave him an F when the paper did not show up:

    "It is not everyday i check my email, once i read it i sent it. I worked strenuously on this research paper and to receive no credits earned is truely unjustified in comparrison to the hours i put in working on my papers. I apologize for the inconvenience but there must be a way to change the grade. I can not accept an F for the work i put in. Pleae out of good decency accept the term paper, i no longer want to worry about this."

    Otherwise, I tend to agree with Christina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love it when they say they can not accept the grade they get? OK, don't accept it and see what happens. I feel compelled to answer the e-mails --and I got another this past week-- because I was not around the last two days of the semester and didn't get to talk to them about how the grades are computed before I fled. If I'd been there, they'd know and the arguing would be over. I agree, too, that I don't really mind the ones who just want an explanation, but the ones who fuck up and then don't understand why they fail--and why we can't just change the grade so they can pass anyway--drive me batshit. I think of a friend who works in a very upscale restaurant: a woman was being idiotically demanding, and my friend told me she wanted to say, "Excuse me, Ma'am, would you mind if I strangle you just a little?"

    ReplyDelete