Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Sunday, January 10, 2010

Time flies

The new semester is rapidly approaching, and I'm accomplishing nothing. I alternately feel like that's OK and have panic attacks about it. I did go so far as to print out the week-by-week grid I use to plan due dates for assignments, and I've taken a look at my 102 syllabus from last spring: there are a few assignments I want to add and/or put in different order (the most crucial of which entails more work on thesis statements earlier in the semester), but essentially I just need to shift dates to accommodate the slight differences in when the semester starts, when spring break falls, and so on. I also need to build in a snow day or two--and a contingency plan in case (as happened one year) there is a school-closing when I've scheduled paper conferences (man did that require a scramble to get the conferences done and the revision due date shifted). And as I avoid working, the promo folder sits on the table and in the back of my mind, untouched....

The good news is that the fall semester is finally receding, which helps improve my mood about the rapid approach of January 25. I still haven't been able to bring myself to mark the three papers that students wanted back (maybe tomorrow?), but at least I haven't had anyone asking about a grade in a while. Poor No Thesis asked me if I could pass him because he'd done his best. I told him that I honestly didn't think his reading or writing skills were sufficient for him to move on, so in good conscience, no, I couldn't. I didn't confront him about the plagiarism concern, but that is what removed from my mind the possibility of a mercy D, which I'd previously considered. No word from him since. I'm sure that my e-mail was painful as hell for him to receive, and I don't like that much: despite what some of my students believe, I truly am not a sadist. But I also don't think it helps to allow students to delude themselves about where they stand academically. Painful truths have their purpose.

Quick side note: I talk all the time about how my students loathe me (or fear me, or both), but one of my colleagues, with whom I do placement readings, told me that whenever he tutors my students in the Writing Center, they say they like me (and kids don't pull punches in there: I used to tutor, so I know). Of course, that's a self-selected population: the students who use the Writing Center are the ones who care and are willing to work hard, so they're the students who are more likely to appreciate being challenged. Still, it's nice to get the positive feedback. I shouldn't care so much about being liked, but of course I do. Not enough to change my teaching methods, but still.

Shifting gears, this evening at the laundromat, a woman struck up conversation; we were having a "what do you do" sort of chat, and when she discovered that I teach English, she immediately asked me if I'd be willing to tutor her 14-year-old son and how much I'd charge. Off the top of my head I said $45 for an hour (she didn't blanch, as I'd hoped she would: if this ever happens again, I'll have to pick a much higher figure). She says she's going to talk to her husband and then contact me to try to set up a time. She's talking 3-4 sessions, which isn't terribly much, but even so, I'm thinking A) I'm insane to consider even for a nanosecond taking on one more thing, but B) I sure could use the extra cash. I'm going to make a spur-of-the-moment decision if/when she contacts me. I'll either say sorry, I can't find a time, and get out of it, or I'll say OK--and tell myself it's worth giving up an hour of my weekends for a little extra dough.

Meanwhile, as long as I'm not doing any work, I'm doing as much dancing as I can. Two hours of hustle today--the dance kind, not the running around like my ass is on fire kind. I could very easily go to at least one dance class (often two) every day except Friday. And after class it becomes very easy to say, "Oh, gee, it's really kinda late; I shouldn't do any work, or I'll never wind down to sleep." Of course, the solution would be to set the freaking alarm so I don't sleep so late--and I do have to set the alarm tonight, as I intend to actually put up the damned flyers advertising 281 prior to meeting the scheduling committee at 10. Still hovering at 4 students in 281. Nail-biting time for sure. If Bruce is around tomorrow, I'll ask him if there are any lit classes unassigned that I might snag in case 281 doesn't run--though I'm still praying madly I can get the numbers up before Bruce has to axe it. I need to find out when that axe falls, too....

But this post constitutes my "work" for tonight.

3 comments:

  1. Around here the going rate is more like $75 for a pro...no wonder the woman didn't blanch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your time is worth much more than $45! I'm jealous of the dancing. I fell ill last week and I can't seem to shake this thing. Bleck! Nice way to spend the break, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina, I'm sorry you've not been well. Hope you shake the bleck. If you want to try out the dancing, let me know: I'll tell you the schedule and you can tell me what classes you think would be fun...

    Stacy, thanks for the going rate up where you are. Next time I'll ask for $100. But I haven't heard from the woman, so hope springs eternal that although $45 doesn't seem much in Connecticut, it might seem a lot to a working-class husband in Manhorhaven...

    ReplyDelete