Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Oh, and

I forgot to mention, yet another student contacted me this week to say he was shocked that he didn't pass the class. He thought he'd turned everything in. A) no and B) a fair amount of what he did turn in wasn't passing. It is so hard to break them of that high school mentality: if they show up breathing and turn in work of any quality whatsoever, they'll pass. Nope, sorry, not any more...

I also just looked at the ads that Google thinks are appropriate for this site. Apparently I have to stop talking about my psychological state, as now the ads are all for anti-anxiety meds and therapy. Do you suppose it would help if I said, 700 times, "I am an English professor; that means I teach at a college; my audience is largely other professors. We're already professors. We work as professors. We're already professionals at the college level" and so on?

4 comments:

  1. Look, it worked! A textbook ad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What meds, exactly, were they suggesting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The textbook ad came and went, apparently. And they were suggesting anti-anxiety meds (geez, I wonder why). Let me try again: professor professor professor. I clearly need to work on upping the key words if I'm ever going to get any ads anyone will click on. I also apparently need to follow other people's blogs more, and post there, so people from there will read mine--and click ads. Though really, I don't care if I ever make a dime from this. That's not why I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I check the ads, they're different. The first one today is about back pain (which I hesitate to write, for fear it will reinforce whatever the weird formula is for determining what ads to post here). I'll instead say that in all four of my classes today, I emphasized that I have my doctorate (let me say that again: "I have my doctorate"). I don't generally make a big fuss about it, but I think it helps students take us seriously when they see our credentials, whatever those may be. MFA, Ph.D.: any "terminal" degree is impressive. This is why I also like to talk to them about my dissertation: I even show it to them sometimes....

    ReplyDelete