Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Wednesday, February 6, 2013

done for the day

Cooked. Toast.

I did manage to get all the logs marked before classes--just, but it was done. The 102s are apparently going to keep me guessing all semester: they flip-flopped again today. Most of the students were there for the earlier section and the discussion was lively and good, got into parts of the story that we often miss. There were 11 students in the second section, and "discussion" wouldn't readily describe what was going on. Even going over the paper assignment was infinitely more invigorating and intelligent in the earlier section.

It does make me wonder what the specific magic ingredients are for each class: which students or how many need to be there in order for things to catch fire. Very strange.

But even the second section did well enough that my classes removed the bad taste from my mouth after Advisement. The last student I saw was furious because it turned out she was missing a class she needed to graduate. She went on and on, then got her mother on the phone, which got her even more worked up and unhappy. After consulting with one of the pros, I offered her two solutions, but that wasn't what she wanted. She was saying things like the person who last advised her should have to pay for the course she needs to take, blah blah. I pointed out that she had some responsibility in this too, that she also is capable of reading the requirements and seeing where there is something missing--and that advisers are human beings, too, and capable of making mistakes. But she kept saying, "I'm a student, I came in here so someone would tell me what I need to do"--as if being a student means she's incapable of figuring out whether she has fulfilled her degree requirements. Turns out, she hadn't even seen an adviser for last fall's registration--and the last time she did see an adviser, she was told she needed the course that she is missing.

I was calm and reasonable, but also felt I needed to point out that she was not being either of those things--and she kept getting more and more and more worked up (with Mom in the background, egging her on). Eventually I said, "We're looking into what happened. I'm going to ask you to get off the phone now; you can call your mother back when we have found out what we can." And then I palmed her off on one of the pros. But it was almost funny to see how many people got involved in trying to figure out what had happened and make sure it was not, in fact, the fault of anyone in Advisement. (There was some sense of "gotcha" when it was determined that she didn't see an adviser prior to registering for fall.) And I'm rather proud of myself--and somewhat amazed--that I didn't even come close to losing my temper with her. And I'm grateful that I was able to turn her over to the pro.

I also got an e-mail from a student apologizing for not having been in class this week and asking for me to tell him what we'd covered, assuring me he'd be back next week. I wrote a rather lengthy e-mail explaining that in fact he's been in class once: he already has four absences, when three is the limit before facing a penalty--and that he's missed all the discussion and preparation for the major paper due on Monday. To encapsulate, I told him my advice would be for him to withdraw. I do hope he does.

In comparison to that, the spells of quiet and lack of response in the later 102 seem completely fine. When they did talk, it was good stuff--so we'll see how their papers are. Paul and I both are rather dreading their reactions to that particular blood bath--but at least my students know the first "grade" isn't going to count: it's simply an indication what the paper would get if that were the final version, but they're required to revise, so the grade should (one hopes) change for the better.

I'm tired. I'm just chronically, systemically, utterly tired. I'm going to make a quick run to the grocery store and then stagger home. There's a department meeting at 11:30, so technically I don't have to be up early, I know I should probably just continue to get up at 6 (I'll have to on Friday anyway) and get my body used to that routine. That would also get me in to do some work before the meeting, and that would be better than having to face bringing anything home over the weekend....

Ah, enough. I may have time for a quick post tomorrow between class and physical therapy, but if not, I'll "see" you (all 2 of you) on the flip side.

No comments:

Post a Comment