Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Thursday, February 14, 2013

The 60-second post

OK, it may take a fraction longer than that, but I want to get out of here (important event tonight at 6). I am thrilled to bits to report that I got everything cleared off my desk that I wanted to get done before the break: letter for my promotion mentee, committee minutes, attendance rosters (official bookkeeping needed for state aid), "early warning" messages: all done. I contemplated not taking any work home with me at all over the break, but I need to return mini-papers to the students in Native American Lit immediately after the break (so they have them before having to write their second mini-papers), so I tucked them into a bag--along with my absolutely wonderful folding editor's desk.

Had a pretty full house today in class, more students than I was anticipating. We sat in a circle and they were all engaged. I made sure everyone spoke at least once, but most didn't need any prompting. One student has been in a class of mine before: I can't remember when, or whether he made it to the end, but he's already in deep shit--and he knows it. I talked to him after class, and he swears he's going to turn everything around over the break and be a new, improved student, turning in all his work. He's obviously doing the reading, and he's got good ideas, but he hasn't turned in a single assignment yet. Ouch.

But the class ended with another discussion with Mr. Enthusiastic. He wasn't prepared for class today (too bad), but he still wanted to share some thoughts about things tangentially related to class. I enjoy talking with him. I had my doubts about his ability to make it at first, but I'm thinking he may be OK.

I'm OK. The world is OK. I have to be here early tomorrow for a lesson in using an online plagiarism detector thingy that the school subscribes to, but then I'll officially be on break. I have a ton of life maintenance to do in the next few days, but then, I'm hibernating for as much of the break as possible.

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment