Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Tuesday, February 5, 2013

heavy sigh

It's been a mad dash today, and it isn't quite over, but close. Maddeningly enough, I came within one student of marking all the logs and study questions for the Native American Lit class--but I didn't get that last one marked, and didn't get the grades recorded, so, well, they'll get it all on Thursday.

I have not yet done a single log for the 102s. I pulled out their self-evaluations: I'm not even going to try to have those ready for tomorrow. Normally I'd want to have those back to them before they have to do first version of first paper, so they have a sense of what a grading monster I am--but I realize it's just hopeless to think I can get that done by tomorrow afternoon. As it is, I'm taking my whole roller-pack home with me: it includes not only the unmarked logs but everything I need for class tomorrow. I realized yesterday that it will be easiest on me if I don't even try to get back to my office in between Advisement and my first class: I have a half an hour, but by the time I walk from Advisement to my office, and then from my office to class, I've lost minutes out of that time. Since Advisement and my first class are on the same side of campus, it makes more sense to carry my lunch with me and sit somewhere down at that end of things to have a quick munch between advising and teaching. That way I can read a bit, relax a bit, breathe a bit--maybe (gasp!) even prep a bit.

I also need to go on record: I have some of the world's best colleagues. In P&B today, Bruce asked about that observation, and I said I really didn't mind that but was more worried about the letters for the promo folders--and one of my colleagues (who has been extraordinarily caring and compassionate across the board) promptly volunteered to take over the mentoring of two of the three applications for me. That's a huge load off. I do still have to do one, but that's do-able.

Class today was fine: I didn't actually have to do much teaching, as we watched the video on the Ghost Dance massacre at Wounded Knee. I thought I might not have a chance to show all the bits I wanted to, but now that I have it on DVD (instead of VHS), I could skip quickly enough past the parts I didn't need to show that we had a few minutes at the end for questions/comments. At first, they were reluctant to ask, but the young woman who was so good last class about being brave and asking questions stepped up to the plate again and got the ball rolling. You'd think I'd be over it by now, but I'm still stunned that 99% of them have never even heard of Custer....

But it suddenly occurs to me that I can recommend another video series (owned by our library) that also covers the Ghost Dance "war"; I'll send out an e-mail. Not sure if Netflix has it, but I'll check into that as well.

But now I have to create a "to do before it bursts into flames" list (pearls are bouncing everywhere) and then dash off to physical therapy. I'm not sure whether I'll have it in me to do any marking of assignments when I get home, but if not, I'll just have to get up super early in the morning to crank out some stuff before the morning appointment--and hope like mad I can finish up during my time in Advisement. I don't think I have anything scheduled for Thursday morning: if not, that will be a good opportunity to crank through as much as possible....

Bizzybizzybizzybizzy......

No comments:

Post a Comment