Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Jiffy quick

Paul and I are heading out to dinner in about 35 seconds, so I'm posting fast.

There's a blooper with the P&B email addresses, and yours truly is the recording secretary for this semester. I just sent the minutes to the old group. I need to fix that. (Thought process about becoming recording secretary: "Fuck, I'm leaving anyway, and I'm on virtually no committees. I can do it." Rethinking: "Fuck, I should not have taken this on. I can't find time to do anything..." Rethinking the rethinking: "Ah, whatever. Stop bitching.")

Classes went OK. I wish I had more time to talk about what transpired, especially in the 102. There seems to be a good proportion of bright brains in the class--and two of them said that the handbook is very hard to figure out, badly written, problematic... Interesting. I've never gotten that feedback before. (So, if I teach in the spring, do I hunt for a new handbook? Nah, probably not.) I was hoping that the discussion of the story would take wing a bit more, but one of the best readers/thinkers in the class was obviously holding back in order to essentially force other students to respond. Good for her. Interestingly enough, her daughter is also in the class, and at the end of class she asked that, when the students work in pairs, I could be sure she and her daughter do not work together. Yup, no problem.

In terms of the 101, I realized that they're getting a very slow, easy start--because I need to get the other class in sync with them. But they seem like a relatively bright bunch. They'll do the first substantive readings for Thursday's class. It will be fun to see what they make of them.

And I have the first wodge of homeworks to mark. This will be my fun and frolic tomorrow before class, in Advisement (barring a continuation of the parade of students wanting to change schedules at this late date), and back in the office for a little bit before I head off to my evening events.

I'd say more, but now, I'm going to try to send the minutes to the right P&B body, then race off to join Paul. That roller-coaster is definitely heading up the slope now...

No comments:

Post a Comment