Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Posting fast...

...which actually may be just fine, as I don't think I have a lot to say. I did have to use some class time to finish marking stuff today, but I got it done and got it all back to the students. I did the usual Writing Process lecture, then turned them loose on the readings, one from Monday, the others due today. They didn't talk much--of course--but they did talk. At a certain point, naturally, the talk turned to "do you understand this assignment?" kind of stuff, but that's fine too. When we got to the "class as a whole" conversation on the first article, the one from Monday, only two people were contributing. I finally said, "So X and Y are the only two who read the articles and have anything to say?" One or two more students stepped up to the plate at that point--but then, when we turned attention to the articles for today, I asked, "So, how many of you came here straight from high school?" Most of the hands went up. "And do you think your high school prepared you for college?" A resounding chorus of "no." And then they got excited and wanted to talk. At the end, I said, "Well, that lit you up. Great!" The class ended with students showing me their homework but wanting to take it home for potential use writing the essays that are due next Wednesday. Do I honestly believe all those students will be working on their essays over the weekend? Phhhht. It is to laugh. Do I care? Nah. They did the work. I'll collect it later. Fair enough.

Advisement was very quiet, thank heavens--but I still didn't get as much done as I'd rather hoped I would. (Yes, we can sing that chorus again.) Well, there's always tomorrow.

Oh, and backing up, two students from the 102 showed up during my seminar hour; one had made an appointment, and we just quickly went over what he needs to prioritize, as he is pretty far behind. (He's got a family situation that was tripping him up, but he says it won't in the future.) The other showed up five minutes before the end of the seminar hour without an appointment. I gave him a bit of a hard time about that, but I talked with him anyway. He also has missed a lot of class and a lot of work (and somehow completely missed the part where he has to write up notes about the readings and submit them to me). He mostly wanted clarification about the essay--and he asked if he should agree/disagree ... and I had to explain that one can't agree or disagree with a work of art. (Note to self: take that Van Gogh poster in to class, show it to them, and say, "OK, do you agree?") But I explained what he did need to do. I don't think he gets it, but all he can do is try.

And another student--one of the adult women in the class--emailed to say she's drowning, wanted to see me today (no can do) or before class tomorrow... so I'll see her at 11. Despite her being an adult, she always has an excuse--or several--for why she doesn't have her work on time. Ah well.

So, yes, I do have to get up at 6 tomorrow and get to campus as early as I possibly can so I can put in a good stint of marking before class, and another (I hope final, clean-up round) during my office hour (and please: no students dropping by). But now, I am off to meet with the gang for a wonderful Italian dinner in the City. This makes my week. And I am outta here....

No comments:

Post a Comment