Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Tuesday, September 4, 2018

One down, 59 to go...

...but who's counting, right? (That's days, not individual classes--and actually, it's a little less, as I will be away one Thursday to head upstate. But still.)

The most interesting part of today was the fact that there seems to be a lot of confusion about room changes. Both my classes today had students (and in one case a professor) there who needed to be in a different room--or even building--and in both classes, students showed up very late because they had been in the wrong room/building.

But the first day always has something wonky going on. The lines in Advisement were pretty bonkers too: lots of students wanting to change their schedules, many of them wanting to sign up for classes that are already filled. For the next week, our class rosters will be a perpetual shuffle (in fact, I'm surprised I didn't already get updated photo rosters, but maybe 1. new photos haven't gotten into the system yet and 2. no one has withdrawn yet). I won't bother doing the little information/grade index cards that I do until after next Monday; by Tuesday, drops will be possible but no more adds, so that's when things get more set.

Of course, the shifting roster also means making more copies of things, as students who decide to bail early usually take the handouts with them, so the students who take their places need the handouts....

Situation normal.

It is very strange, however, to do these various things--print up the index cards, write my name and the course number on the board, give my little first-day lectures--and know that this may well be the last time I do any of those things, at least here at NCC. I just checked the pay scale for adjunct classes at NCC, and if I am calculating correctly (I have credit for 20 semesters and a doctorate in hand), given the amount I can earn in a year without having to pay back Social Security, teaching even one course would put me over the limit--because my "severance" pay and the "additional payroll" lump sums count as income, of course: this is some of what I learned in HR the other day). Those amounts seem like chicken feed, but then Social Security only allows one to earn a pittance without taking half of it back. I wouldn't mind that so much if that half ended up in what I get paid once I'm 66, but I don't think it works like that.

So, yeah. Last time, unless something wildly unforeseen happens. I don't think I'm going to be adjuncting in Montana, or if I am, it would probably be online, so no writing on the board, no record keeping on index cards.

I don't really have a feel for my classes yet; no real sense of personality. There is one student in the 102 who will be interesting; he may be a great writer, but he wondered if the first essay would be "What I Did on My Summer Vacation," as that's what they did in high school. ("Ah, but you're not in high school any more, are you," I said, cheerfully.) One student in today's 101 seems to have a bit of a chip on her shoulder--but she could end up being lovely. Another student in the 101 told me that he always hated writing until he had to take a workshop on argument essays in high school, and now he loves it and he can't wait for the work of the class. Fantabulous! Have at it, Kid!

Most interesting of all, however, was one student who stayed to talk for a while after class. He is the news editor for the campus newspaper, and I mentioned knowing one of the previous editors: I don't know if you faithful readers will remember the Media Mogul, but I sure do, the punk. I probably shouldn't have gossiped with my new student about it, but turns out the Media Mogul was booted off the campus paper--and, I think, off campus entirely. Something about a camera that belonged to the newspaper that he didn't return (until dire consequences were threatened)...? Apparently there was some sort of law suit, which the business manager of the paper and the paper itself won, and the Media Mogul lost. But I suspect this will be a career trajectory for that putz. He'll "charm" his way into situations, fuck up, get booted, lather rinse repeat. Apparently he also had problems with anger management. And personal finances up the gump stump (bought a drone worth several thousand dollars out of his own pocket because the paper needed it?). I'm reminded of an equine character in Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley: thinks he's too good for anything until he gets the shit kicked out of him by a bunch of mares. I hope the Media Mogul has a similar experience, metaphorically speaking.

And isn't it interested that I am so gratified by hearing bad things about him. I will burn in hell, I swear: I have a vindictive streak that I do not like to acknowledge. I wouldn't personally do a thing to that kid (except talk to him, which would do zero good), but I'm hoping for a comeuppance. He just got up my nose, that one.

Shifting gears radically: I briefly turned into one of those people I hate. Immediately after teaching 102, which, you may recall, is scheduled in the computer labs here in Bradley hall, I went downstairs and asked Lori if she could possibly find a room swap for me. The configuration of those labs just won't allow small groups, and small groups are central to my pedagogy. I was ready for disappointment, but no: a minor miracle has occurred. Our department's IT person knew someone who really wanted a lab, so we're swapping rooms as of next week. I'll be in two different rooms in South Hall (and South is a bit of a pit, plus I hate the changing rooms thing), but I'll be able to do groups the way I want to. And the change goes into effect next week, which works great: I don't really need to do the groups before then. So, hooray for little gifts from the gods.

We'll see what other little gifts appear over the next days, weeks, months. Earlier today, I was feeling too frantic to set up a meeting with Paul (who is on the Island but not on campus today); I just didn't know where anything was in the steaming mounds of papers I have strewn all over creation. Things are more organized now, and I will have a little bit of time tomorrow morning to do more organizing and photocopying. It feels very weird to have Advisement scheduled after my classes instead of before, but the good news about that is, it's an additional morning when I don't have to get up before dawn. This is a blessing. (Oh, and the two hour stints feel shockingly short. I feel like I'm just hitting my stride when it's time to go. I almost missed my departure time today, because I couldn't believe I was finished already.)

So. That's day 1 complete. It will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment