Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Home, sick day

I could probably have forced myself to be at work today, go to meetings, hold classes, but that sore throat from yesterday (from Sunday evening, actually) is still hanging on, and since there was nothing utterly crucial going on--not to mention that I have gotten a very tender request to take care of myself--I decided to go in long enough to pick up some work and then came right back home. Of course, I haven't done any of that work, but the day isn't over yet. Now that days are getting longer, I'm hoping the fact that there is still plenty of daylight left will help me get at least enough done so I'm ready for tomorrow. Tomorrow I'm supposed to go to a 9:30 a.m. meeting of departmental assessment: we'll see how much sleep I get tonight, but I may bail on that. I do have to finish photocopying for 265, and I'm wondering if I'll have time between classes to get that done. I'm subbing for a colleague tomorrow after my class, too, but I'm just showing a film, so that's not a problem. But that will make for a long enough day, so not only am I staying home from work, I'm staying home from dance. Second week in a row that I'll miss swing class, but I find I don't mind and don't feel deprived. The nice thing about dance is that it will be there; I can go or miss and it's all the same.

Which cannot be said about the classes I teach. I'm about to get the first version of paper two from all my comps, and I feel completely sick about it. The thought of having to read and mark the papers is literally nauseating, despite the fact that (thanks to attrition), I'll be marking many fewer this round. My dread is heightened because I have a horrible sense that I missed a bunch of plagiarized papers in the first round (I kept finding things online that sounded suspiciously familiar--beyond the two plagiarists I caught), so I'm afraid they'll try it again. Not to mention that I am in a pretty bad place right now, in terms of my emotional stamina. I'm hoping that what I feel at the moment is just a passing mood brought on by the physical malaise, that I'm tired, and cranky, and sapped, and thus feel emotionally hammered. But in terms of the comp classes at least, it's very hard to rouse myself to give the tiniest shit about whether they learn anything at all. Their work is depressing the hell out of me. Even my current 102 student from last fall's 101 is deeply disappointing at the moment. Her work has been sloppy and inadequate and seems to be getting worse. I'm not sure what's up with her, but I need to talk to her....

and writing that, of course, I see that I do, in fact, give rather more than a tiny shit. I'm just monumentally discouraged by the glacially slow progress that is the nature of the composition beast. This time of semester is always tough, as it becomes increasingly clear how little the students have managed to incorporate of what they've ostensibly learned; it's just especially tough this semester because I want to pole-vault over the remaining weeks and have it done and over with. And yet there is no way out but through. Head down and slog, Tonia, head down and slog.

However, in my ongoing determination to find silver linings and all that, I need to remind myself that I do reach students, more often than I am sometimes aware. Sara told me yesterday that one of her 101 students is in my 102 (a very bright and earnest student); the student showed Sara her first paper, on which she got a C, and said that although I was tough, she liked it because she felt she was learning. Nice.

Last night I also had a longish conversation with a student from several years ago: he was in another dream section of Nature in Lit, very bright and interesting young man, wonderful writer, and we've kept in touch over the years. He's gotten accepted to a couple of master's programs and wanted my advice about how to proceed. Talking to him, I can feel the calling that will make him a brilliant teacher, and I was truly honored that he sought out my feedback. That in itself was lovely enough, but one of the best things for me in our conversation was that he said I was one of the few professors he had at Nassau who took it seriously, which made him want to take it seriously as well--and that my class was like what he experienced once he went on to Stony Brook. I'm half tempted to have students like him write up testimonials along those lines for me to use in "advertising" future sections of 281. So many students--like Smirky Bitch from last semester's 229--think I'm insanely difficult and demanding, whereas I think I'm being a college professor....

Sigh.

Just glanced over at the work I brought home. It really isn't much, and won't be difficult to get done once I start doing it. And yet I resist, and find myself wondering what else I can do to procrastinate. Lying on the sofa staring off into space and daydreaming sounds good but wouldn't work, as it would leave the volume turned up on the "should" voice. If I'm going to procrastinate, I need something that will drown out that voice. Or I need to put on some good music and just get to it.

****Sigh*****

No comments:

Post a Comment