Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Soooooo tired

I pretty much bailed on both classes this afternoon. I got very little sleep last night, on top of two days of not feeling very well (since developing celiac, any stress hits me straight in the guts: I feel rather like a ferociously squeezed toothpaste tube). I spent the whole morning trying to decide if I could make it through the day, going back and forth, and finally had used up what little energy I had about five minutes before my first class--by which time it felt a bit idiotic to cancel. I might as well have, however, as I let the students go almost immediately after taking attendance. In 101, I met with two students who wanted to go over papers with me. (I hope what we did was productive. They both felt more confident, at any rate, which is good.) The rest went off to work on their projects. In 102, I collected revisions, returned reading journals, talked to them a minute about reading journals, and then told them I'd hang out for anyone who wanted my help with anything, but that otherwise they could go and put the time to whatever was most productive for them--including a nap, which is what I was/am aching for. A few hung out for a while: one of them is having a great time with the novel; he's reading it with his work buddies, talking it over with them, enjoying having his mind blown by some of Le Guin's ideas. Very cool.

In terms of my own nap needs, however, now it's that awkward limbo time when it's too late to nap and too early to go to bed. Still, my eyes are burning, and I am utterly incapable of doing anything remotely productive. Despite being out of bed at 5 this morning, I accomplished almost nothing--and still have the papers to grade for 265, which need to be ready to return by tomorrow at 2. That means another morning of getting up well before dawn, but I'm hoping I can wind down sufficiently to get to bed at a commensurately early hour tonight. To do that, however, I have to regretfully miss dance class. I really hate missing it--but tonight it's way more important to be home and winding down (something I'm not doing very well at these days, I confess).

Sweet moment a minute ago: student from 102 came to the office to turn in his paper--and he asked me if he could use my poem about how students misread Sexton's "The Starry Night" as a critical source. I said that poems are not critical sources, but it was flattering--and he actually used lines from the poem in a way that made it sound like it could have been. Really, I was flattered and touched that he wanted to use my work that way. Another nice moment: a student from 101 is so worked up about the topic for her second paper that she joined the Sierra Club's fight against the Hetch Hetchy dam, sent them money.... Her family is making fun of her, but I told her I thought it was terrific. It is great when something clearly is getting through. It may not be what I'm most worried about, but it's something, and it is valuable to them, and that's truly uplifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment