Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Thursday, April 29, 2010

I'm out

Results of the run-off for P&B were in today. Two candidates got enough votes to get in, but there has to be another run off for the third position--and based on what was going on with my candidacy, I've withdrawn my name from consideration. I'm disappointed--and I confess my ego is a little bruised, as it is a bit of a popularity contest (and my numbers went down, not up): I truly do/did like doing the work, though sometimes the stress levels got pretty high. Ah well. There was a moment last week when I considered withdrawing anyway, just as a stress alleviator--and now the stress will be alleviated. One of those times when the universe helps out by making sure the best thing happens, despite what we may think we want. I already am thinking of ways to take it a lot easier next year, committee-wise (I can afford to relax for a year before I start pushing for full); among other things, I hope I can refocus attention on my teaching--and on the large (and wonderful) changes happening in my personal life.

Both classes went pretty well today, and I had productive meetings with two students in my office. One is working very very hard to comprehend The Left Hand of Darkness: he admits that he doesn't read much, so it's a skill he hasn't developed. We worked on strategies to help him--and I suggested (among other things) that he start focusing on what he does understand instead of what he doesn't: the sense of getting it will begin to self-reinforce, instead of feeling confused, which tends to lead to a block against understanding (the brain feels dizzy and can't take in even things that normally would make sense). I hope it helped: the students have proposals for their final papers due at the start of next week, and the ones who have a hard time understanding the novel are going to be facing a brutally difficult task.

The other student who came to my office came in to work on a revision (special circumstance, so he gets a little more time). But I think I mentioned him earlier: he's sharing the novel with friends at work, discussing it there, and having a blast getting his mind blown. He's really grooving on it now: mega-cool.

I probably have more I could say, but it's getting late and since I was too wound up to sleep well last night (got about 4 hours worth) and still feel wired for sound, despite eyelids made of heavy-grit sandpaper, so I need to find ways to unjazz myself. My usual soporifics haven't been working well of late, so I'm not quite sure what I'll try, but here's hoping for success.

No comments:

Post a Comment