Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Thursday, April 12, 2018

Comparison/contrast: didn't just make my day, made my semester...

So, the young woman who has been attending my "salon" now comes on Thursdays instead of Mondays (because of a change in her work schedule); I didn't know to expect her, but she showed up--and we talked through my seminar hour and all the way through my office hour as well. She started off the meeting by saying that she absolutely loves Left Hand. Loves it.

She wasn't kidding; she couldn't get enough talking about it: specific passages, turns of phrase... Not only that, but she's getting everything she needs to get and then some when it comes to the important understandings (she even picked up on the shadow motif, and we're only up to chapter 3). We had a blast talking--just generally nattering about whatever--but a lot of it was about Le Guin's writing and my work on her writing. I mentioned my dissertation and hauled it off the shelf to show her--and she actually started reading it (impressed by the fact that I used footnotes, among other things). She wanted to take it with her; I might let her, if she promises faithfully to return it. I doubt she'd read much, if any of it, but if she wants to give it a whirl, why not? As long as it doesn't disappear.

Class was wonderful, too. First, they started putting the desks in a circle--and I had to say, no, not today, as I needed to put things on the board. I showed them some of the online materials I created over the sabbatical (paying particular attention to the images of "Gethenian" faces--actually Inuit, Peruvian, Chilean, Tibetan), and then we just went through and talked about what's going on in the first three chapters. One of the shakier students actually had great questions about chapter 2; I was glad to have him ask--not just because the answers were informative but also because it indicates that he's reading and working to understand. Excellent. And the brighter students were, well, bright. Some confusions, some questions--already getting into some of the philosophical questions (when does a conflict become a war? What makes something a war? What happens when we can only see people through the lens of gender?). I am not only happy, I'm deeply relieved. Oh, thank God, they're not going to disappoint me--or not yet anyway. And they're getting such a good start on things that I don't think they will, though I know there will be some places where we have to do some real work to get to the meat of what we need.

I didn't get much else done today; I got in late, got a little work done (enough that I could return assignments to students), and then the Budding Bluestocking showed up ... and then I taught class. Now, I'm about to take off (physical therapy appointment), but ... what a lovely way to end the week. If I could have classes like this reliably, I could teach a long, long, long time without burning out.

No comments:

Post a Comment