Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Thursday, April 5, 2018

Thank God for the SF class

Today felt relatively productive--seminar hours meeting, followed by marking the homework for the SF students (done!), getting things on my desk at least loosely organized (done!), taking care of some P&B business (done!).

The one major downer is that only two students in the 101 class submitted their essays to Turnitin on time. One emailed me last night: he sent what looks like just the title page of his essay (in the belief that he'd emailed me the assignment--which is verboten) and a request to meet with me today to discuss revision. I informed him that 1. he needs to upload his essay to Turnitin, not email it to me and B. I am not holding revision conferences until next week--and in any event, I'd hardly have had time to evaluate his essay before a meeting today. (What, I'm at your beck and call now??) I see that he uploaded to Turnitin. I see he did not sign up for a conference.

I haven't wanted to check in on the Nature in Lit class; at last check, hardly anyone had done any work. They seem to be falling by the wayside in droves--not that there were droves of them to begin with, but in terms of percentage. I'll take a look tomorrow, but I have to say, they rather add to my despair.

On the other hand, a lot of students wanted to talk to me after the SF class today, and several want to conference with me, which is dandy; I've just asked them to email to remind me--and to let me look at the schedule so I can be sure I'm not double-booking anyone. I'm not sure how many will do that, but ... we'll see.

(And somehow that just reminded me of some other "paperwork" I needed to take care of: done!)

As for the class meeting itself today, it was, as usual, a delight. They talk to each other; they're interested and invested; they're working on essay ideas... Of course, most (if not all) of them forgot that they needed to get me the list of critical sources they want to look at for potential use in their second essay, but, well, either they'll email me about it, so I'll have something to bring to them on Tuesday, or they won't, in which case ... well, if it were another class, I'd say they're just fucked, but in this case, I'll probably do everything in my power to get those articles to them so they have at least a little time to find something to use. I'm just having a blast with them. It's a great way to end the week.

Well, actually, I ended the week with an observation--but that also was fun (good class, well run), so all is, for the moment, hunk and Dora.

But it's full dark now, and I am heading into that wall at a rather alarming speed, so I'll sign off. It doesn't really matter that tomorrow is another day--but starting Monday is a new week, and the count-down is on.


No comments:

Post a Comment