Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Yet another quickie

I'm setting them up and knocking them down today, boy.

Well, not the homework for the SF class, though I did get at least a little whack at that. But I did the review of the article submitted to a journal (which took a bit longer than anticipated but is now done); I wrote up the observation; I wrote a letter of recommendation; I made a bunch of photocopies; I got at least a teensy bit organized....

Of course, I still feel run ragged--and afraid to find out what pearls have dropped through the floorboards or have scampered under the furniture--but ... I have made progress. I'll take it.

The 101 was particularly disappointing today. Six students showed up (out of eleven still registered; one withdrew earlier today); two of the six didn't have their essays done. Three of the best students weren't there at all. God dammit. But it did make today relatively easy. And I remembered to review what "revision" entails--and what it doesn't. The two pairs who actually did some work did help each other--especially one pretty good student paired with one of the ones who is out of her depth; he gave her a lot of good, solid, constructive feedback--and, even more gratifying, he told me he learned a lot about what he needed to say in his own essay through that process. Yes, I said; that's why we do it.

Tomorrow I have to be in at 10 for a Seminar Hours committee meeting--not that that's an unduly early hour, just not typical for a Thursday. I have to double check my calendar, but apart from one seminar hours appointment (and the possibility of seeing a student or two during my office hour), I think I'll have a good chunk of time between the end of the meeting and class to get more stuff knocked off the "to do before it bursts into flames" list. I then have another observation after the SF class, so it will be a slightly later night than usual for a Thursday. But then it's another week down; six to go. Counting tomorrow, I meet with the SF students eleven more times; I meet with the 101 students ten more times--well, actually nine, as the tenth will be the "conferences in my office" day (make up for the snow day).

And at that, I think I'm out of here. I feel like I'm forgetting something I needed to take care of before leaving tonight, but whatever it is, if I don't remember it in the next one and a half minutes, will just have to be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment