Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Sunday, April 1, 2018

The pushmepullu of burnout versus amount of work

I did the proofreading, which was easy.

I went through the homework for the 101, which was only difficult because it was so discouraging. If I were to give the students the grades I honestly think they deserve, most would not be passing. And there isn't anything I can do about it. I was going to say there isn't anything I can do about it at this stage in the semester, but really, there isn't anything I can do about it, period.

They do not know how to read, understand, think, write. I keep saying it, but I have to keep re-realizing it, apparently; hard to believe just how profound the problem is.

Having dealt with the 101, I didn't have it in me to wade through the remaining essays for the SF class. One or two may be reasonably OK, but mostly, it's just a more advanced version of the same wade through that I do.

I've been thinking about my handouts, though. I need to just dictate, not explain. Don't do this. Don't do that. Do this. Do that. They still won't understand what I mean (like the 101 students who read a handout that clearly said "don't summarize" and then, when I asked them what they should do, said "summarize"). They absolutely cannot believe that what they've been doing all along no longer is going to cut it.

Yeah, I need to retire. I can feel the effect of the burnout not only on myself but on my interactions with them. I'm starting to vacillate between "oh, fuck, I don't care, whatever" and "the fucking ingrates, I'll show their asses." Neither of which is a beneficial approach to teaching.

Ach, enough griping. The days are getting longer, and what remains of the semester is getting shorter. Life is fine. A bit beige at the moment, but fine. I'll take beige.

No comments:

Post a Comment