Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Saturday, April 21, 2018

You'd think I'd know myself better by now...

I brought all kinds of student work with me upstate for this Breath-Body-Mind teacher training workshop that I'm doing--and of course I realize I'm not going to even look at it. Even thinking about it increases my anxiety levels about a thousand-fold, so ... no. I'm not quite sure where the anxiety and resistance come from; it's not like I don't know what I'm facing or how to handle it. This is just situation normal: some of the work will be good, some will be awful--but it's at the point in the semester when I don't need to drive myself nuts trying to shift anything better: they've gotten all my feedback, so now it's just about them using what they've learned to work on themselves.

Kinda like what I'm doing up here. But in a really nifty turn of events, one of the organizers--not even one of the teachers--had great ideas. I mentioned the panic response students have--especially in the comp classes--when faced with their first assignments, and he suggested that their first writing assignment of the term should be to write as badly as they can imagine writing: make every mistake they can think of to make, break every rule, really suck on purpose. I'm not sure how the students would respond to that, as so many of them think they suck no matter what--intentionally or not--but it's certainly worth trying, just to see if it would loosen up anything in them.

The other idea was that I can present a calmer, less daunting persona to the class the first day (or days) if I do some of my Breath-Body-Mind practice immediately before entering the classroom. So often I see the students almost recoil when I first walk in, as if they were expecting a mere teacher and instead are faced with a dragon--a friendly and smiling dragon, but nonetheless.... That's a bit of an overstatement, but it certainly can't hurt me to practice reducing my own stress, anxieties, tensions, before I walk into the classroom.

In fact, it can't hurt me to practice reducing all that stuff period. So even if I never end up teaching the BBM stuff, it sure is great to learn.

I get to be a student again all day tomorrow, then drive home and settle into being home before I go back to wearing my dragon disguise.

No comments:

Post a Comment