Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Sunday, April 8, 2018

Truly painful

I've just spent a little time grading the essays for the student in the 101 class--three of the five who actually submitted anything--and it's not been fun, I have to say. One of them can think--good ideas, good support--but organizationally it's a mess (and clearly written in so much of a rush that he didn't even run spell-check on it), and on a sentence level ... well, it leaves something to be desired. One can almost think, but her ideas are not only disorganized, they're disconnected and underdeveloped. The third? On a sentence level, not bad--but the sentences don't mean much and ... well I don't even know what to say about the thinking. Except the poor guy clearly sort of can't.

I could have done the other two today, even given the fact that it's a bit on the late side, but I just couldn't bear facing any more of it. In that regard, I suppose I should be grateful that I only got five submissions. But ... I had to talk to Cathy on Thursday about what I should do if I end up with a class in which everyone really should fail. (Answer: work with them wherever they are on this essay and curve the grades at the end. I'm not liking this trend; last semester was the first time I ever had to grade on a curve at the end, and doing it again so soon disturbs me.) I'm also not delighted with the fact that--unless a few of the students who were AWOL last week show up--I may end up with only five students in the class at the end. That also doesn't look very good.

Well, we'll see what happens from here. Nothing much I can do but roll with whatever the gods send down the pike.

Meanwhile, the Nature in Lit class is in need of some attention--which they'll get tomorrow. I'm happy to see that both the rock stars are back posting to the discussion board--but again, lots of students AWOL. The only one where the students seem to be sticking for the most part (including one who shouldn't) is the SF class--but there you have it: face-to-face interaction plus the miracle of class chemistry. Can't beat that combo with a stick.

Speaking of the SF, though, I'm still fretting about my need to be away on April 19. I don't want to hustle them through the reading any faster than we're going (too fast as it is)--but I don't want them floundering without guidance for those very important chapters. I think I may have to do more hand-holding than I normally would and give them chapter summaries--or turn them on to the online help sites--at least until we get past chapter seven. I hate to do it, but ... well, I want them to get it.

For now, I'm going to pack it in for the night. I'll shove stuff back in my tote bag (I got it out of the bag but did nothing at all with any of it (and here's the chorus of "I'll think about that tomorrow")) and shift gears into wind-down mode.

This semester can't wind down fast enough. I keep counting the remaining weeks, but somehow, between Monday and now, that hasn't changed.... I meet the 101 twelve more times, SF ten. I wish it were the other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment