Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Monday, April 23, 2018

Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow...

..because maybe, tomorrow, I'll be stronger. Well, you don't know. It could happen.

I started to work on the grading for the 101 class, because I very much want to get that stuff back to them on Wednesday--and really, there are so few of them, how hard could it be?

Well, hard, actually. Because they just fucking will not do the work--and even when they do, it's generally so ungodly awful.

Cathy thinks I'll be great at any of the courses that essentially work with students who need "developmental" writing as they merge into credit bearing; I don't know how to convince her that I would completely suck at it, because I have no patience for this shit. Oh, I have patience with individual students up to a point, but I passed that point a long while ago.

And I realize that I have to redo a lot for the Nature in Lit class--because the students don't even begin to understand my essay assignment questions, so they can't possibly write papers for the class. If there weren't the requirement for students to use some critical material, it would be easier to come up with topics--but the critical material isn't for undergrads, and I don't know how to get them to understand what we need to do. I met with a student today; she truly didn't understand in the least what she was supposed to do with the critical material--and she clearly hadn't read past the first page, so she didn't even understand the critic's real argument. I don't blame her, though; she can't really understand a lot of the primary material, so it's hardly surprising the secondary stuff baffles her, and in her shoes, I might read to the point where I feel like "I don't get this at all" and hope that just the bit I got would be enough.

Oh, god. I really just need this semester to be over.

But laughing with Paul helps. (He came in at that point, and I showed him a little cartoon I posted on FB. He and I both laughed pretty hard. That was good.)

Right now, however, my head is hurting--again--and I am tired and hungry and cranky (not a good combination). I'm going to go home ridiculously early (unless I sign off here and suddenly think of something I really must do), and I'm going to hope I get a good whack at the work tomorrow. It may never be "tomorrow," but it will--we assume--eventually be Tuesday, April 24, 2018, and when it is, I hope I am more able to approach the bolus of work I've collected from the 101 class so I can return it on Wednesday. If I'm super efficient (unlikely), I may even be able to return some stuff to the students in the SF class, which would be great.

But we'll see. I'm not taking any bets at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment