Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Monday, November 26, 2018

Probably the wrong priorities

I did get some grading done this weekend, though I shifted focus part way through and instead of trying to get the essays graded for the 102 class, I decided to chunk through the accumulated homework for the M/W 101. And indeed, I did get that returned to them today. I made a start on the similar mountain for tomorrow's 101, but I didn't get very far. Instead, I spent a fair amount of time pulling together the final essay assignment (and apparatus to go with) for the 102, and just now I reworked the assignment schedule and final essay assignment for the 101s. Since the changes also mean a change in grading policy, I also wrote up a little contract, so those who opt to put all their metaphoric eggs in one basket have signed off on the potential consequence in terms of their final grades.

Of course, I haven't floated any of this past the T/Th 101 yet--and honestly, I'm not sure I will. I'm afraid I might get more protest from them ("but we want conferences!!"), and I can't have different policies for both classes. I may present them with the fait accompli. I am allowing an option for those who do want to conference with me, though I won't have much time. I don't think more than one or two students in the M/W class will want a conference--and I have more time on Monday. I may leave the option open for students in the T/Th class to see me either on Monday or Tuesday; that way I can surely accommodate everyone.

I still am going to be at least somewhat slammed with grading for the 102 students. I gave myself a tiny bit more time, but not a lot, so a lot will ride on how many want to see me for conferences.

And--as is usual now that we've hit this portion of the roller-coaster ride--I'm having miniature waves of panic when I think about how much I have to turn around really very quickly so the students have what they need before the final essays are due. Essentially, everything I currently have in my hands has to be back to them by the beginning of next week at the absolute latest. Yikes and likewise zoiks. And yet, ah well. This is the last gasp, the final finish line to be crossed. I'm stumbling and staggering, as usual, but I know I will make it, though I may fall splat on the other side.

The chunk of time I usually have on Mondays after my class got filled up with visits from two students and a phone call with our campus point person for trouble with Turnitin (and there has been a lot of trouble with it this semester, not just in my classes). One of the students was the budding attorney from today's 101, who wanted to know what classes he should sign up for for next semester. I showed him the degree evaluation, "Schedule Builder" (which--rather unusually for this campus--actually is beneficial for students), and showed him other options for how to make his schedule work. Tedious--and really not my job, not only because I wasn't wearing my "Academic Advisement" hat but also because he is in the Business degree, so technically, he should be advised by them. But whatever. I know how to do it, so I did. Then the Young Philosopher, the Zen Student, came to ask me if I'd be willing to write a letter of recommendation for him (of course, and happily), and then we talked some about transfer to SUNY-Purchase. He was thinking he wanted to get into their creative writing program--but he's never done any creative writing, so that obviously wouldn't work. He only needs two classes to graduate next spring, so there is no real reason for him to take any of our CW classes--except that we have some amazingly good writers and teachers in the program, and it would give him a taste (and a chance to maybe build a little bit of a portfolio). I suggested that he talk to one of my colleagues, who is genuinely a bit of a star in literary circles but who also is just a super-neat guy, very friendly and helpful. I hope they do connect: I think that could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship (without a trip to Casablanca required).

In any event, given all that, and despite taking work with me down to the main office for my Monday "babysitting" stint (being an adult presence in the office so the student aide isn't all alone), the stack of work to be done didn't diminish by much today. So I'm sure there is more I could/should do tonight, given those waves of panic, but I'm looking at it all and my mind is making the grinding noises of something trying to operate on too little battery power. I will see what I can accomplish on Wednesday, which is the next day in which I will have a significant chunk of time in which to grind through stuff. So, I'm not even thinking about the fact that tomorrow is another day; I'm skipping right over that to the next "tomorrow." But I won't project beyond that. I'll just drive carefully home through the flooded streets and return here to start all over in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment