Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Tuesday, November 20, 2018

The stacks are getting exponentially higher...

The stacks of "to do" work are getting ridiculously large. Some of it is deceptive: the revisions of essays come with lots of other stuff attached (the first version, some indication of what was done in revision, articles the students found for the 101s), but I still have to look at all the bits, even if I'm only evaluating the revised essay itself. And then the homework stacks. Also a bit deceptive, as for the 101s, I have the actual printouts of the articles the students read, along with their notes on the reading. Nevertheless, it really is completely ridiculous.

And answers the question "What will you do with Thanksgiving weekend, Prof. P?" I hope I actually do some of the work this time, instead of simply dragging it home and back again. I have a markedly rose-colored sense of how much time I actually have during the week to do much of anything, which is hard to recognize as unduly optimistic when I am at home and longing just to snuggle up with a good book and a cat and cups of tea.

Well, the time for that will come.

Today's classes both went pretty well. I have no complaints about either one. The students from 102 are (for the most part) latching on to the details in the novel in a lovely way; the students from today's 101 can always be counted on to participate in class discussion and to have good ideas.

Among other things I need to do is to rework the final essay topic for the 102 class. It's close, but I want somehow to also provide information about how to do the research. That can't be part of the essay assignment--which is already far too long and detailed--but they do need the information, and I can't be sure I'll have time to go over any of it with them in class.

So that gets tacked on the rest of the "things to do" list, along with P&B minutes (which I will do after my Advisement stint tomorrow, I hope) and other things that I'm almost certainly forgetting.

I'm sure there is more I could record about today, but nothing springs to mind. Often as I am walking from point A to point B on campus, I am planning what I might put in the post of the day, or mulling possible titles, but today, my mind is either engaged in the task immediately at hand or essentially making white noise. We'll see how tomorrow goes. Because, you realize, it is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment