Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Working out a solution

I talked to the students in today's 101, and given their responses about the scheduling SNAFU I created, I'm working out a plan that changes the flow of the final essay--and (bonus points) lets me collect it earlier, so the last days of the semester I can spend grading, in the time-honored tradition of "Individual Grade Conferences in My Office" (which translates as "You can see me if you want, but I'm just as happy if you don't"). Because the shift I'm contemplating requires a change in the grading structure as set out in the syllabus, I think I'm going to make students sign something that indicates they understand and agree to the ramifications for their grades.

I haven't got all the details fully worked out in my head (and won't bore you all with them anyway), but I think I have a way to make it work for the majority of the students, who do not want to do two versions or have conferences with me, as well as for the minority, who do. I had hoped to crank through writing up the changes when I got to the office after Advisement, but fortunately, when I sat down at the computer, the notes from yesterday's P&B meeting were staring me in the face, so I did those instead. I don't want to have to fuss with them on Monday, and the other members of the committee need time to read them over before the meeting.

I do have to leave myself a huge note to look at the two sabbatical applications that I have not yet reviewed; that will be a task for Monday, as we need to finalize the applications in P&B on Tuesday.

And of course I have filled my wheelie-pack with way more work than I can possibly do over the weekend, even if I am far more diligent and focused than I ever manage to be (unless my hair is on fire, metaphorically speaking). That begs the question why, in that case, I'm bothering to schlep it all home, and I don't have a good answer for that--except, I guess, that I hope just seeing the enormous stack of shit will remind me how much more there is for me to do. I mean, it really is absurd. And the work hasn't stopped coming in, just because I'm idiotically behind the grading curve.

I'm also taking home the scratched up copy of the final essay assignment for 102, which still needs some work (as I believe I mentioned yesterday). Who knows what I'll actually do, but it's good to have several options, all of which would be productive.

In the "well, that's done" column, I did photocopy all the rest of the readings for the 101s for this semester and got them sorted and into the appropriate accordion folders. I was going to copy the essay assignment, too, until I realized the changes I am contemplating need to be clearly spelled out on the assignment sheet. So later for that.

Now, I think my only remaining task for today is to water the plants and make sure I know where my glasses and glasses case are--preferably that they are together in one location (after a few weeks of being able to find one but not the other). I kinda think that's it for now. I may post over the weekend, if anything noteworthy comes up as I get through however much of the work I get through. Meanwhile, for those of you who are in my U.S. readership, may you have a day for which to be thankful tomorrow. Actually, I have the same wish for everyone, whether you celebrate Thanksgiving or not. Gratitude is always good to remember to express.

No comments:

Post a Comment